Thursday 7 April 2011

My Disaster

Hello again, well as you as see from the title this recipe didn’t go quite to plan! I recently saw a recipe for spaetzle; I had never heard of it before and when I read that it was like the best parts of noodles and dumplings I immediately wanted to give it a go.
Me and my friends thought it was a good time give a go last Saturday night. I’m not quite sure whether we didn’t measure the ingredients properly, or we miss read the recipe or whether it was my clumsiness but it didn’t go well.

It all started off well and the mixture looked the right consistency but then it all changed... when we got it out of the fridge and began to pour it through the colander as the recipe said this was okay if we didn’t have a spaetzle maker. Well after pouring a quarter through terror struck when we lifted up the pan and beneath it was these small pure white blobs that were dancing around like tadpoles! It wasn’t a very appetising food! We carried on through thinking well maybe some colour and a nice texture comes when they are pan fried. We first thought we would try it plain to see what the actual stuff was like.
Well it turned out to be nothing like dumplings or noodles more like soggy mini omelettes or hard scrambled egg!
After this we still had a lot of mixture yet and decided there was no way to salvage the actual spaetzle so we decided to make very heavy eggy pancakes which turned out to be quite nice and with lots of lemon and sugar they were great!


However after this disaster I thought I would hop on the internet and see how other people have made it and whether they have had any troubles and from what I can see no they haven’t it appears just to be me! Ah well I think I may have another shot at this recipe in the future! So I have put the recipe below and you should really try it and let me know how it goes or where this recipe could be improved to help me next time!

Ingredients 
2 cups/250 grams of flour (all purpose)
7 medium eggs
¼ cup/60 ml of milk
salt (for salting the water to cook the spaetzle in)






Method
1.       Combine flour, eggs and milk in a large bowl. Cover with Clingfilm and leave for one hour or overnight. Prepare an Ice bath. Bring a large pot of well salted water to the boil.
      set a large colander or spaetzle maker over the pot.
3.       Pour ¼ of the mixture (or less) into the colander and use a flexi spatula to push it through the holes (if this doesn’t work then use trial and error with the mixture to make small blobs or noodle like shapes to fall into the boiling water).
4.        Boil the spaetzle for around 1 to 2 minutes then use a slotted spoon or strainer to drain the spaetzle the plunge into the ice bath.
5.       When cool drain again and toss with olive oil to stop the spaetzle sticking. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
Heat up the spaetzle in a frying pan and cook with desired ingredients until golden brown (most things go with it as it has quite a plain taste). 


Good luck!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. i also had trouble with it and i found it way too salty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific recipe, Alex. I will try it out and inform you of how well it goes! I look forward to reading your next blog post :)
    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete